Geoff (Gold Coast)

Reaction score
G’day. I’ve had my Atto 3 since September last year and have done almost 15,000 km. Currently on its first long trip from the Gold Coast to Canberra and return. I’m new to this forum business and I don’t do Facebook or any social media.

Welcome aboard Geoff, likewise I don't get into the whole Facebook thing, I guess I'm a little old school in that respect.

Ended up leasing a Atto 3 for the wife but she doesn't like it, so she's now got my RAV4 and I'm driving the Atto 3 around which I'm not minding and actually prefer it.

The Atto 3 certainly has some quirks but really what car doesn't, I'm sure nothing OTA can't fix hopefully.

Hi. I am really keen to buy an EV. The BYD Atto 3 has really caught my attention. Youtube reviews are overall generally positive, but they are mostly short-term reviews. So, I am interested to learn about what current owners think about their BYD Atto 3 after driving it for a few months. Is it a reliable car, any problems appearing? Basically, do you feel that the car is aging well? Are you all concern about servicing and warranty provided by a new car company entering Australia, and BYD's partnership with MyCar? Darren, what was the issue your wife had with the Atto 3? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I'm very much in the same boat at present being short term but we'll be stuck with it for 3 years.

I must say I had very high expectations coming from the RAV4 which I thought was very polished and had all the mod cons, I was stuck in the mindset of it being chinese rubbish but so far just blown away by how good it has been to date.

For me so far granted only a couple of months in no issues, have heard some reports of fogging up but not experienced that myself.

Couple of quirks or maybe omissions for me
  • Lacking intermittent front windscreen wiper.
  • No front electric seat memory (painful when switching drivers).
  • Batman tyres aren't the best thing in the world, but I see no reason at this stage to go about changing them, let's face it unless driving rather spirited around corners or really stomping the accelerator off the lights that won't be an issue.
  • Hitting multiple bumps in a row seems to unsteady the car a little when using cruise control, can almost feel it speeding up then slowing down.
  • Only front camera recording so may look at a rear view option at some point.
  • Can only unlock the car from the drivers side door.
The positive for me
  • Feels quite nimbly around corners with a nice feel on the steering wheel.
  • Downhill using cruise control is superb, doesn't gain any speed.
  • Infotainment unit speed and screen quality is a big wow factor very clear and certainly noticeable jumping back into say the RAV4.
  • Very quiet and I feel less road noise than anything else, quite enjoyable driving in silence.
  • Heated seats for those who have experienced them are very hot, I can't handle it on number 2.
No creaks or squeaks and no issues appearing at all so can't speak for the warranty issues just hoping more MyCar workshops jump onboard as used to having a service centre just around the corner but have to drive into the city for servicing at present, hardly a deal breaker considering servicing will be once every 12 months.

Using the car for the daily commute to the office, roughly 15km either way (combination of 50, 60 and 80kph) with a detour to the shops once or twice a week and picking the daughter up from childcare, finding myself at the end of the week roughly 50-55% battery remaining and using a public charger every so often.

Tend to charge the Atto 3 on weekends between 10am-3pm (21c/kWh) and 1am - 6am (24c/kWh) overnight to make the most of the cheaper electricity prices but the granny charger which comes with it is painful slow maybe regain a couple of percent per hour so if I was doing more km's would definitely be going backwards and needing to charge it outside of that.

We have gone down the path of getting a Zappi charger installed ($2800) just waiting on an install date, I just wanted it done and didn't bother with multiple quotes so could have nabbed it a bit cheaper but charging @ 7kW instead of ~1.6kW during those cheaper times would be well worth it with no issues getting it topped up.

In short, I really couldn't be happier and look forward to see what else BYD brings out, if the range was upward of 600 / 700km it would be perfect that will come as now any long trips need to be planned a little more carefully as driving @ 110kph certainly uses much more of the battery.

As for the wife she doesn't like the head rest, nothing else springs to mind as a criticism.

Was funny last weekend I had to use the RAV4, sent the wife a message you can gladly have this back, give me the Atto 3 any day, with the baby seat in the car not sure the bike would even fit.

Hopefully that is of some help and food for thought.

Hi. I am really keen to buy an EV. The BYD Atto 3 has really caught my attention. Youtube reviews are overall generally positive, but they are mostly short-term reviews. So, I am interested to learn about what current owners think about their BYD Atto 3 after driving it for a few months. Is it a reliable car, any problems appearing? Basically, do you feel that the car is aging well? Are you all concern about servicing and warranty provided by a new car company entering Australia, and BYD's partnership with MyCar? Darren, what was the issue your wife had with the Atto 3? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

G’day Extee. I have had no major issues in 15,000 km since last September. If this is going to be your first EV you will do well with the Atto 3 with the 60 kw battery. I consistently get 480 km max range shown at 100% and close monitoring over nine months proves the figures correct. But it will come down to what your expectations are, how you are going to use the vehicle, and how you will charge the battery. If you have sorted those basic issues and still want to go ahead with an EV then you have to make an adjustment in your thinking and planning, and here is why.

We all grew up with petrol or diesel and it was common practice to run the tank to near empty because we knew that there was always a petrol station on every second corner with half a dozen pumps operating and a seemingly endless supply of fuel. Well, that thought process does not work with an EV. If you do run the charge down to near zero out on the road Murphy’s Law says that the charging station you pull up at will be out of action, or the app on your phone won’t work because you are out of 4G coverage, or you’ve lost your RFID card!!!

I charge at home and most of the time I don’t have an issue but I have altered my mindset so that on a road trip 50% gets my attention, 40% causes concern, and 30% is about the lowest I will let it get. Other owners may do something else.

Cheers.

Thanks Geoff and Darren for your detailed replies.

I am really glad that both of you have enjoyed driving the BYD Atto 3. I have seen it, and sat in one at Melbourne Central and at the Dandenong show room. The seats feel good to sit on, I don't think I will have an issue with the head rest since I tend to lean forward when driving. Seems like there is a lot of interest, as it is not easy to book a free test drive in Melbourne any way.

I would definitely get the Extended Range version, since I live in the outer suburbs of Melbourne, where public EV charging stations are few and far apart. Most reviews have indicated that 420 km is possible on a single charge with the extended version, as long as the average speed is not more than 90 km/hr, which is enough range for me. I would be mainly driving it around Melbourne. However, if I am daring, I would also give driving interstate to Sydney a go. I recently drove to Canberra with a ICE car, and was so surprised to see all the EVs cruising along the high ways, and also in the rural towns (mainly Teslas). But, I do wonder what options there are if you are stuck with a flat battery. I guess you would have to get it towed.

How do you all find the state of the public EV charging stations. I have read that non-Tesla chargers are unreliable. They are either in use, or if available, may be broken. Hopefully, with the increase in EV uptake, more charging stations will be built, and better maintained, to make long journeys interstate journeys palatable.

Darren I am glad you mentioned the Zappy charger. I would most likely be charging at home (I have solar panels). This would be the cheapest option, even if I have to charge overnight. Most chargers around my area cost 30 - 45 cents/kWh, so not the cheapest option. I will think about paying to install a dedicated 7 kW charger if I find charging at 1-2 kw too slow and impractical. I think I will leave the stock tyres on. I suffer from motion sickness, so do not accelerate/turn corners/decelerate aggressively when driving. On the plus side, my sluggish driving will hopefully drain the battery less.

Cheers and thanks again. Your replies really helped.

Back