Solar Aware Charging Options?

Darren

Site Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey
Curious as to thoughts on what chargers are out there which are solar aware? Seems like Zappi is the only option that I'm aware at the moment.

On single phase with a 6.6kW solar system no battery.

I guess currently chasing something that will charge during the day and / or make use of the off peak electricity costs in SA overnight to keep the Atto 3 topped up.

Cheers
Darren

Ended up heading down the Zappi 2.1 route, at the end of the day unless you have a massive solar setup not going to use it to its full potential but seemed to have some smarts in that regard when comparison to say the Tesla chargers.

Will end up charging at the cheapest part of the day hopefully on the weekend being 7kw and will make use of some solar at least, with the latest price hikes a no brainer really.

What really frustrates me is the sparky costs, this varied from $600 up to $1355, ~5m connection from the switchboard including getting up into the roof and down the wall, this included 4 hours labour as well.

At present Evolution Australia has 10% for EOFY sale which made it worth while.

7 Months on and revisiting this given the $0.08c charging from 12am-6am would have been much better off with something else like even the Tesla charger with no smarts at all.

Given the FIT from solar have never once used the charger during the day and purely overnight.

7 Months on and revisiting this given the $0.08c charging from 12am-6am would have been much better off with something else like even the Tesla charger with no smarts at all.

Given the FIT from solar have never once used the charger during the day and purely overnight.
I'm looking to an EV charger at the moment as well and am lost. I have a 10.56kw solar system with a powerwall.
I'm with Powershop, I assume the 0.08c charging is the OVO Energy plan?

Having a powerwall would make things slightly different, I have heard of people charging the powerwall during the 12am-6am period with OVO.

I think AGL are doing a similar plan now, not sure about others since I've been happy with OVO at the moment.

I have 10.2kw of solar panels with 8.2kw fronius inverter connected to tesla gateway and powerwall 2. I was advised by my solar company to put in a fronius watt pilot. It will use excess solar or grid but purposely can be installed never to drain the powerwall, leaving this to power the house. It can also do time of day charging and be pre-set to charge the car for long trips.
Key is to get the 22KW 3 phase version, even if you only have single phase as that device will charge up to 32amp and 7.3kw on a single-phase install. The 11-kw single phase version will only output at 3.66KW on a single phase.

Installer was solar gain from Bairnsdale, Vic

Back